Getting "smurfed" was just a fact of life. I had gotten the little blue stuffed creature God knows when or where and had never really paid it much attention. I rather preferred my cuddle worn canine "Demon" (named after the Doberman down the street) or my fluffy black spider that originated from my Charlotte's Web obsession.
I loved the show though. Whenever "The Smurfs" would come on, my brother and I would gather anxiously around the TV, joyously reciting the theme song. Sometimes my dad would prance by and join in, which I thought was pretty much the funniest thing in the world. I wondered how such an old person could know so much about cartoons.
Truth was, the Smurfs had been around for quite awhile. In fact, they were only a year younger than my dad, with their debut in 1958 in a story illustrated by a Belgian man known as Peyo. Even more intriguing than his name was his rise to fame . After completing school, Peyo narrowed his prospective careers to two options - a dental assistant or an illustrator. Fortunately for myself and thousands of children worldwide, when Peyo showed up at the dentist's office, he was told that he was fifteen minutes too late.
I don't remember how it started. Maybe I initiated it. Or maybe my dad did. All I remember is finding the Smurf in odd places, like on top of my backpack as I grabbed it for school in the morning. Or slumbering peacefully in my doll cradle. When my dad would see me gazing quizzically at the awkward blue man, he would belt out a roaring laugh and shout "You've been Smurfed!"
Peyo's little creations gained fame. In 1976, they starred in the film "The Smurfs and the Magic Flute". In 1981, with a little help from the legendary Hanna & Barbara, their television careers were launched. The Smurfs had gone global.
I had to retaliate. And I did. When he was at work I would plot with my brother about the most creative place to smurf. I would set it on my dad's dresser. Or by the coffee pot. Once, when he was asleep, I snuck down to the garage and placed it in the driver's seat of his Dodge Neon.
As the old adage goes: all good things must come to an end. During Christmastime 1992, Peyo passed away.
We moved to Oregon when I was thirteen. I thought Smurfs were babyish. I thought I would be fine without my old friends. I thought I didn't need my dad's dumb jokes.
Yet, Peyo's legacy still lives on. Even without his guidance, the Smurfs have continued to expand into videos, CDs, and video games. Millions of copies have been sold.
As I crept up the stairs into my desolate new room for the very first time, I couldn't help but crack a smile. And then a laugh. There, propped up on the shelf of my barren closet was that mischievous blue being, welcoming me home.
Smurf facts from: www.smurf.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great blog Amanda. You weave in the smurf facts in a way that makes this story not just about you, but about the "smurf legacy." I loved the ending too; it really brought the story back to you and reminded me that this was not just an essay about smurfs, but about how the smurf impacted your life. Really good job!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Aaron! The way you weave the two stories together is a fun parallel, enhanced by your light-hearted voice ("such an old person"). You could probably really develop this piece, adding details about your relationship with your dad and the impact that move had on your life--maybe if it meant a lot that the Smurf was still around? Very interesting AND entertaining! Pay close attention to clarifying the parallel between your life and the Smurfs! Were you 13 in 1992? Maybe fine some moments to transition smoothly from the smurf story to yours, not always just jumping.
ReplyDelete