Thursday, April 23, 2009

Prospectives

The young woman and what had to be her mother stood in front of the admissions office, deep in conversation. As I approached, they became silent and eyed me expectantly. From my experience as a campus tour guide, I knew that this young woman was a prospective student. There is just something awkward and anxious and refreshingly naive about them that any tour guide can spot from a mile away.
As I inform them about my school project, both mother and daughter relax a little. The young woman, Savannah, seems eager to answer my questions. She tucks a lock of her thick brown hair behind her ear as she recites "We're from Bend. So it's not too far away." I smile, and ask her to tell me about her college search. She shifts her weight and lets out a small sigh. Self-consciously she glances toward her mother, before beginning "Well, it's between this school and another one like it. In Philadelphia." She passionately describes the wonders of this East Coast institution. For an instant my eyes lock with Savannah's mother's, and I can sense a hint of disapproval. Philadelphia was too far away for any parents' nerves.
I shift to a safer topic. Her intended major. "I'm thinking either biology or chemistry. But I'm not sure yet." Her mother quickly interjects "She's pre-med." I nod respectfully.
I catch Savannah staring wistfully at one of the many blooming shrubs on campus, her intense brown eyes surveying the beauty. "I really like it here," she professes. I begin to ask her specifically what it is that she likes, but her mother cuts me off.
"That's the thing with these kids. I mean they're just eighteen years old and they have to make such a huge decision. Based on what? The flowers?"
I nod again. Memories of my own college decision come cascading back to me. "So, Savannah-" I begin. But there is not enough time. Her mother glances at her watch and quickly asserts "Oh. Sorry, we have an appointment that was supposed to start five minutes ago. 'Vannah we need to go!"
Savannah gazes apologetically at me. "Hey, I hope this was enough for your school project."
I smile.
It's enough.

1 comment:

  1. Good, simple account. I like the detail of your description of her actions and the nature of the looks her mother gave.

    ReplyDelete